Who doesn’t like to Travel? Travel is an opportunity to explore more. Travel may come to some in form of Vacation travel or as office work travel. Either one is equally frustrating and energy consuming. Apart from dealing with delayed flights or traffic over the Vacation but eating healthy meals and snacks can also be challenging. Below are some tips to help you stay on track and and balance your PCOS routine with healthy diet and exercise while traveling on Road or by Air.
- Before Traveling, remember to pack healthy snacks
Healthy snacks such as fruits or guacamole or hummus with carrots, celery sticks, broccoli, hard boiled eggs can be packed in insulated bag and kept in a cooler Pack if traveling by road. For lighter snacks, Protein rich bars or Gluten free crackers. Nuts and seeds are good option to carry in hand bag or Back Pack.
- Bring Plenty of Water with you. Drink enough water before starting your Travel. We often forget to drink water when packing or getting ready to start for travel day. It is important to stay hydrated by drinking water. Always carry an empty bottle that can be filled up at airport. I always use BPA free bottle while traveling and stainless-steel bottles when not traveling. I also carry small glass vial of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to mix in water. For more information on Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar, check my post on “Natural Remedies for PCOS and Hypothyroidism”.
- Remember to pack for your breakfast. Its good idea to carry a small blender with you so that you can enjoy your fresh smoothies if your luggage limit allows that. Also, you can carry your Organic Oats, Cinnamon, Chia seeds, Healthy Protein Bar nuts, dried fruits , and pack it in a sandwich resealable bags. One can check local stores for fresh fruits and veggies options on reaching the destination.
- Bring your Instant Pot. If you are a vegetarian person like me, you can carry Instant Pot to make your own healthy food. Sometimes I find it difficult to have vegetarian food option So better to cook in Instant pot and enjoy hot soups, meals. I always carry my 3 QT Instant pot with me in my car. You can pack your spice and ingredients in small resealable bags.
- Bring your Medicines or Supplements. Always remember to pack your prescription medicines and Vitamins Supplements for journey and keep them handy in your purse. Taking medicines and supplements on regular time will prevent fluctuations to sugar level.
- Bring your Heating Pads. If you suffer from back pains or cramps, heating pads are best to carry along. And if your luggage is more and you cannot accommodate heating pad, you can carry Thermacare Heat wraps.
- Bring/Wear your good pair of Shoes and Clothing. Traveling is always time consuming so make sure to wear your comfortable attire in which You can easily stretch and feel relax.
- Workout Exercise. Get some exercise workout done before travel. Wear comfortable shoes so that you can walk around airport. While traveling in Car, take a break after every 2-3 hours either at gas station or at Rest area and have a small walk to relax your muscles and stretch your body. While sitting, one can practice deep breathing. There are many benefits of deep breathing. When at destination hotel or resort, you can take some time out for either Yoga, swimming, Dancing, Low impact exercise, walking with family, friends.
- Pack your Chemical free daily use Cosmetics . Remember to pack your moisturizer, Lipbalm, Sulphate and Paraben free shampoo in Silicone Travel Bottles.
- Pack and keep back up for your Sanitary Menstrual needs. With PCOS, some women have heavy bleeding so carry your Menstrual cup, tampons. You don’t want to miss the chance to enjoy the activities like biking, hiking, dancing and more. Don’t let your accidental cycle ruin your trip. If you are on tampons, make sure you are using Unbleached and Organic Tampons.
- Bring/Carry all Pain Relievers – Remember to pack your Pain Relievers to get relief from your cramps and pain. I am not good fan of popping this pill, but it’s better to have one instead of ruining your important day. You can also carry your routine use Essential Oils like Lavender oil and Ginger Oil that helps you relax, alleviates Stress, ease your pain and discomfort . Check post on Uses of Essential Oils in PCOS.
- Prepare Plan for return. Before leaving for the vacation or trip, always make a list of to do things, it may be grocery shopping for next week meal plan on return. This will help you stay on your routine.
All set for your travel. Happy Traveling.