The most common cause of Hypothyroidism is an under active thyroid gland that does not produce enough hormones. It affects body’s metabolic rate. There are many ongoing researches to know the cause of Hypothyroidism. Exact cause is not yet known but the possibilities can be genetics, gut health and may be hormones. Some of the hypothyroidism symptoms are
- Increased sensitivity to cold
- Weight gain (Inability to lose weight)
- Dry skin and brittle nails
- Muscle weakness
- Slow Metabolism.
- Hair loss, thinning of hair
- Change in voice
- Change in menstrual cycles
- And many more
Polycystic Ovarian Sydrome
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a hormonal imbalance in women of reproductive age and is leading cause of infertility in women. Women with PCOS have enlarged ovaries which produces more male hormones. This may be due to insulin resistance that forces ovaries to produce more Androgens.
There are many researches that shows the links of Insulin to PCOS because many women having PCOS also have imbalance of Insulin or Insulin resistance. Again, exact cause of PCOS is yet not know. It can be either Hereditary, Lifestyle or hormones. Most common symptoms of PCOS are as
- Irregular periods
- Inability to lose weight (fat layers on belly, pear shape body)
- Hair growth on uncommon parts of body
- Hair loss, thinning hair
- Changes in mood
- Irritability and Depression
And many more.
There are many women in the world having both of this Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and Hypothyroidism. There is no cure for these yet. But it can be controlled by some home remedies, Supplements and making a lifestyle change including physical activity.
Disclaimer: There may be some affiliate links on this page, which means when you purchase, I get a tiny percentage of the purchase at no extra cost to you. This allows us to keep updating the site for great health tips, so feel free to click away!
In this blog post I have gathered all the natural remedies that I have researched on and have tried, tested myself. As mention in my other blog post I have managed to lose weight with both of this hormonal disorders -PCOS and Hypothyroidism. I do follow the natural remedies mentioned below that works for me and suits my body. Remember One size does not fit all. You never know what remedy might work for you and you find improvements. It doesn’t cost to give a try to natural remedies. Give it a read!
Turmeric or Indian Saffron or Curcumin
Turmeric is very well-known spice used in Indian Cooking also known as Indian Saffron. Curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric that has amazing health benefits for so many conditions and is known for centuries.
It is a very special herb used in Ayurveda because of its anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-cancer, anti-microbial, anti-fungal effects. Turmeric is rich in Curcumin that helps to regulate estrogen, reduce pain during menstrual periods, regulate blood flow to uterus and other reproductive organs by removing stagnant blood. Turmeric is filled with natural anti-oxidants that helps in several fertility disorders – PCOS, Endometriosis, Premenstrual Pain, Amenorrhea, Ovarian Cysts and Uterine Fibroids.
There are many researches that shows the studies of patients who have autoimmune thyroid conditions such as Graves’ Disease and Hashimoto have seen much improvement in their symptoms while on Turmeric supplementation and other uses in meals. Turmeric helps stimulate thyroid hormone production in Hypothyroidism.
In India, Turmeric tea is the first home remedy used to recover from Cold, Cough, Fever, Pain and Inflammation.
- Turmeric tea can be made with any Milk (Coconut milk, Almond Milk), Cinnamon, Ginger, honey, Coconut Oil.
- Turmeric powder can be used in any recipes(Curry and many more).
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is very helpful for dealing with PCOS and thyroid disorder. ACV does detoxification in body by restoring the acid alkaline balance in gut. Gut health is important as it controls digestion and improves immune system. The imbalance of unhealthy and healthy bacteria in intestines causes weight gain, high cholesterol level, high blood sugar level and many other disorders . It helps control blood sugar and control your body from producing too much Insulin. Less Insulin means less male hormones and it will help you lose weight and reduce belly fat.
- Add 1-2 tablespoon of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar Raw and Unfiltered (With the Mother) in glass of warm water.
- If you don’t like the taste, you can add little honey to it. Honey is totally optional.
- Drink this daily in morning and 30 minutes before meals. 1-2-day break is good to have in a week time. Drink it with a straw to avoid contact with sensitive teeth.
Asafoetida is a blessing for millions of individuals in the world who can’t properly digest or eat under cooked onion or who don’t enjoy eating garlic. Its most common purpose is as a digestive aid. Apparently, it reduces flatulence. It is a little pungent spice but very often used in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisines.
Asafoetida is very popular when it comes to medicinal purposes.
- eases painful menstruation
- reduces flatulence and gas feeling in stomach
- whooping cough
- treats ulcers
- helps sooth asthma symptoms
- it is also used as an aphrodisiac
- helps with depression and fatigue
Licorice is one of the best remedies that works for Women having both PCOS and Hypothyroidism. Licorice has anti-androgen properties that helps balance estrogen in body and promotes regulated ovulation and improved fertility.
Women with Hypothyroidism and PCOS often produce lower levels of Cortisol, a hormone that helps your body cope with stress. Licorice stimulates the production of cortisol by the thyroid gland. It has anti-Inflammatory properties. It boosts immune system by strengthen endocrine systems and liver health. Licorice Root Powder also treats leaky gut which is common with PCOS and improves the balance of good bacteria in gut and thus improving the gut health and Digestion. There are many researches that show that It helps in stabilizing blood sugar levels and helps in Insulin Sensitivity.
- Licorice root can be brewed, and herbal tea can be drink.
- Licorice powder can be mixed with juices and Smoothies.
- Licorice supplements are also available in liquid or capsule form.
Fenugreek is very good for glucose metabolism in body and improves insulin resistance. Fenugreek helps with apetite control, lower cholesterol and triglycerides level. Fenugreek has anti inflammatory effects in body. Fenugreek Seeds or green fenugreek leaves and powder are used in many Indian and Asian recipes for their nutritional value and nutty taste.
- Soak 1-2 teaspoons of Crushed Fenugreek seeds or Whole Fenugreek seeds in water for six to eight hours. Take half teaspoon of the soaked seeds 10 minutes before your meal Continue for several weeks or until you see improvement. If this does not suit your body, you can stop taking it.
- Fenugreek seed powder can be used in many recipes.(Curry)
Cilantro juice or Coriander Seeds drink
For thyroid disorder, Cilantro/Coriander juice is very beneficial. Coriander is extremely rich in folate, antioxidants, vitamin C and beta-carotene that helps in hormone regulation. Coriander Seeds can ease gas and bloating while improving overall digestion. Cilantro has a cooling effect makes useful for soothing both allergies and arthritis, two conditions caused by inflammation. Cilantro/Coriander helps improve digestion, regulates blood sugar, reduces cholesterol, treat inflammation, mouth ulcers and helps in clearing acne.
- Fresh Green Cilantro/Coriander Water is very refreshing and full of antioxidants.
- At night Soak 1 table spoon of Coriander Seeds in water. Then in morning boil that water until half water remains. Let the water get cool down and you can drink it. Soaked coriander seeds can be chewed or can be used in other recipes for meals.
- Fresh Coriander paste mixed with Mint, few drops of lemon juice and pinch of Himalayan salt is eaten as dip with veggies.
- Green Cilantro can be added to smoothies or veggie juice.
- Green Cilantro/Coriander Paste made by using with mortar and pestle can be applied on acne, pimples. Due to Coriander’s anti fungal and disinfectant properties, it can be used to treat eczema.
Cumin is very popular spice in Indian cooking. Cumin is rich in Iron, magnesium and vitamin B1. Cumin helps to improve Digestion by releasing the bile from liver and helps digest fats and nutrition in gut.
Cumin contains rich Antioxidants that stabilize free radicals in body that cause inflammation and damage cells. Cumin regulates sugar level in body and thus help in improving sensitivity of Insulin. And thus helps to stabilize hormonal imbalances. Cumin helps in improving the Diabetes and reduce the cholesterol level.
- Take 1-2 teaspoon of Ground Roasted Cumin or Whole Cumin in one glass of warm water. Soaked left cumin can be used in cooking or can be eaten with meals.
- 1 teaspoon of grounded cumin can be added to a glass of buttermilk or smoothies or salads.
Fennel Seeds or Saunf
Fennel is native to Asian and Mediterranean region. It is called as “Saunf” in hindi. Fennel is a source of minerals like Copper, Potassium, Calcium, Zinc, Manganese, Vitamin C, Iron, Selenium. It is consumed in South Asian countries as natural mouth refresher due to its unique taste and aroma.
Fennel Seeds (dried) are often used in cooking and in Indian pickles. Fennel Seeds is rich in potassium which helps to control heart rate and blood pressure. Fennel flushes out the toxins from the body and purifies the blood. This helps in better absorption of nutrition in gut. Dried or Fresh green Fennel is used for treating Constipation, heartburn, intestinal gas, colic in infants, Irritable bowel Syndrome, Bloating and Digestion. It reduces water retention in body. And thus, help in losing weight.
You might have observed fennel seeds is offered after meals at Indian or Asian restaurants.
- Green Fresh Fennel bulbs can be eaten raw. (Commonly available in India).
- Dried Fennel seeds can be eaten after every meal.
- Fennel can be crushed and powdered. Fennel powder can be mix with water and drink.
- Fennel powder can be added in fresh juice or Smoothies.
Cinnamon is very popular and healthy spice used in Asian and Mediterranean Cooking. It has powerful medicinal properties. It is loaded with Antioxidants, Polyphenols and anti-Inflammatory properties. Cinnamon improves sensitivity of Insulin hormones by lowering blood sugar levels. Cinnamon also helps to boost metabolism in the body and thus helps with weight loss. It has powerful anti-Diabetic Effect.
There are some studies that shows that Cinnamon helps in improving the fertility in women by balancing the progesterone and thus helping to get pregnant. It also helps in regulating the frequency of menstrual cycles among Women with PCOS. There are many varieties of Cinnamon- Cassia, Ceylon, Saigon, Malabar. Ceylon Cinnamon is advised to get most of the benefits.
- Cinnamon powder can be sprinkled on Salads.
- Cinnamon powder can be added in Smoothies or herbal tea.
- 1 teaspoon of Honey and Cinnamon powder can be mixed and consumed.
- Cinnamon sticks can be chewed or used in cooking recipes.
Bitter Gourd also called as Bitter Melon or “Karela” in hindi. It is widely grown and available in Asian, African countries. Bitter melon is a good source of nutrients like fiber, vitamin C, folate and vitamin A.
Bitter Gourd has unique bitter flavor. Bitter Gourd is widely used in Asian countries as home remedy to reduce blood sugar and treat Diabetes. There are several researches that shows taking 2,000 mg of Bitter Melon for 180 days daily decreased blood sugar and hemoglobin A1c. Hemoglobin A1C- a test used to measure blood sugar control over three months.
- Bitter Gourd can be steamed or baked or stuffed with fillings of your choice.
- Bitter Gourd or Bitter Melon Juice diluted in water can be consumed on empty stomach. The taste is very bitter though.
- There are many traditional Indian recipes made using Bitter Gourd and other vegetables.
- Bitter Gourd or Karela Supplements can be consumed after meals.
Maca root is native to Peru and is vital ingredient for health. For women with PCOS maca root can be a powerful addition to help reduce estrogen, decrease the appearance of facial hair, regulate periods and increase fertility. Maca has been found to help balance hormones and reduce symptoms of PCOS. Maca is high in fibers, such as cellulose and lignins, which improve gut health. Fiber is also an effective tummy filler, which can reduce hunger between meals. Maca Root contains calcium and phosphorous. Both nutrients help strengthen bones. Maca can be extremely beneficial for menopausal women as well. It has been found to reduce night sweats and hot flashes. Maca is considered safe for most people, although those with thyroid issues need to be careful.
- Maca root Powder can be added to juice, smoothies or in baked foods.
Amla is very rich in Vitamin C and Antioxidants. Indian Gooseberry has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine to treat a wide variety of health conditions. Indian gooseberries have been used in India to treat respiratory diseases, intestinal inflammation, type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, hypertension, skin inflammatory disorders, skin trauma, cancer, and liver diseases. Amla is also used to make hair healthy, long, free from breakage, and keep it from going gray.
Amla/Indian Gooseberry is an effective cure for Constipation because of its high fiber content which works wonderfully for the digestive system. The dried powder of the Amla fruit is also a great home remedy for Acid reflux, hyper-acidity and stomach ulcers.
- Best way to consume Amla or Indian Gooseberry is to use in powdered form. Amla or Indian GooseBerry Powder can be mixed with Water, Ginger powder and Honey.
- Amla powder can be sprinkled on Salads, Veggies or can be added to Cilantro juice and consumed.
- If freshly available, Indian Gooseberry juice can be consumed with water and little honey.
- Green fresh Amla can be eaten raw too.
Aloe Vera is another herb that is used in PCOS treatment in Ayurveda. Aloe vera helps restore hormonal balance and improves Insulin sensitivity. Consuming a teaspoon of Aloe Vera Juice can regularize menstrual cycles by balancing ovarian hormones.
- 1-2 tablespoon of Aloe Vera juice can be consumed along with water.
- Aloe Vera is good for healing cystic acnes.
- Fresh Aloe Vera can be applied on face and hair for glowing affects.
Shatavari or Asparagus Racemosus
Shatavari, or Asparagus racemosus, has been used for centuries in Ayurveda to support the reproductive system, particularly for females, and as a support for the digestive system. Shatavari is high in plant-based estrogen also known as phytoestrogen. It is well-known for its restorative properties of the ovarian follicles, regulating the menstrual cycle and energizing the female reproductive functions.
Shatavari is used as rejuvenating tonic for female reproductive system not only for young women but also for middle aged or Elder women by providing graceful transition in natural phases of life including Menopause. Shatavari promotes healthy energy levels and supports immune system. Shatavari also helps in reducing bad cholesterol, blood sugar levels and reduce oxidative stress.
- Can be taken in Supplement Pill form at night before bed time.
- Shatavari Powder can be added to Smoothies or juice.
Coconut Oil is rich in saturated fat called Lauric acid that is medium chain fatty acids. The Medium chain triglycerides (MCT) help improve thyroid functioning. There are many researches that show Lauric acid increases the good HDL cholesterol in the blood to help improve cholesterol levels. Breaking down of these types of healthy fats in the liver leads to efficient burning of energy.
People who take coconut oil also tend to have improvements in blood sugar since coconut can help improve insulin use within the body. This helps with Insulin sensitivity in PCOS women. Coconut oil can boost thyroid function helping to increase metabolism, energy and endurance. It increases digestion and helps to absorb fat-soluble vitamins.
Coconut oil rejuvenates skin, hair and wrinkles and slows the aging and wrinkling of skin. Used as a lotion, it protects against sun damage, and strengthens underlying tissues. It moisturizes, heals sores and injuries bruise mark.
- Add 1-2 table spoon of Coconut oil in your smoothie or tea or coffee.
- Cook your meals with 1-2 teaspoon Coconut oil.
- Eat or drink 1-2 tablespoon of coconut oil along with your meals if you cannot add it any meals.
- Coconut oil is very good for dry hair and dry skin. It is best moisturizer and lotion for face and body and good conditioner for hair.
- Coconut Kernel either tender or dried or can be consumed by making delicious coconut deeps by adding other nutritional items like Yogurt, little chickpeas flour, green chili and Himalayan salt.
- There are many researches that shows Coconut vinegar contains probiotics – the gut friendly bacteria and polyphenols.
Walking & Exercise
Start Exercising if you not. Walking every day for at least 20-35 minutes has good affects on overall health as it boosts mood, reduces stress levels and relieves Depression. Calories and fat are burned when brisk walking is done. It burns 100 to 300 calories in 30 minutes (depending on your weight). Physical activity helps release of hormone called Endorphins also called as Happiness hormone. Moderate exercise like brisk walking, jogging, cycling or swimming are all great activities that can help with PCOS. This type of exercise increases your bodies sensitivity to insulin, which reduces your risk of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes. Yoga, Meditation, Cardio, Zumba, Cycling , Strength training are good exercises for PCOS and Hypothyroidism
There are many more natural remedies and treatment for PCOS and Hypothyroidism but no need to stress about it. You can start with implementing few of the above options. You will definitely see and feel changes. Read more on “Weight Loss Tips with PCOS and Thyroid issues” where I have share 18 important and easy tips to lose weight by following this natural remedies along with Lifestyle change.
If you have any questions or want to discuss about any of the options, feel free to post your comments. Thank you for reading this.
Stay Healthy and Happy.
Pin It for Later..